Monday, August 4, 2014

Strawberry Orange Rhubarb Preserves

Maybe it's because it's August and strawberries are cheap. Maybe it's because my rhubarb plant was ridiculously huge. Maybe it's because I was actually awake at 8pm. Either way, I canned some seriously yummyness last night.
I found a recipe for strawberry rhubarb jam with no pectin that I used as my base then changed it up so suit my tastes/mood. I'm not a huge fan of jelly but I love fruit butters and preserves. So here is what I did:
Strawberry Rhubarb Orange Preserves
About 8 cups chopped rhubarb
About 8 cups strawberries, hulled
6 cups sugar
2 oranges
Put the chopped rhubarb into the pot you are planning to cook in. Pour the 6 cups of sugar on top and mix together. (My strawberries were wonderfully sweet but if yours aren't, you may need more sugar. Or just leave it nice and tart!) Let this sit for 2+ hours.
Take your hulled strawberries and crush them. I used a potato masher. You don't have to make them super crushed, just enough to release the juices. Add the smashed strawberries to the rhubarb and sugar and stir.
Add in the zest and juice of two oranges and stir well.
Over medium high heat, heat to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to the point that the rolling boil continues but not so high that it scotches. Boil and stir often (depending on how even your heat is you may need to sure constantly) until it is thickened and reduced. This took me about 35-40 minutes. Let it sit off the heat for about 5 minutes and then skim off the foam.
Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. I had enough for 5-6oz jars and 5-12 oz. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. (I follow the more specific instructions from Ball's Home Canning and Preserving.) Let sit on the counter overnight to ensure they are ready. 
Enjoy!!
*note: make sure you follow more specific instructions on how to properly can things. Obviously if you're an experienced canner you know what to do. I see no reason you couldn't freeze this recipe if you didn't want to can it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment