Monday, July 25, 2016

Bad Day Brownies

These are brownies that are very naughty. And very chocolatey. And you should not make them unless you know what you're getting in to. So save them for a really good day. Or, like the title says, a bad day.

I know I'm not totally normal, but on a long day where the kids are sniffly and snuffy and more cranky than usual, and I've given in to watching Lego Batman for the thousandth time, I need to bake something. Anything.

So right now I'm making cinnamon almonds, hummus, and these brownies. I just need to. It's stress relief.

Anyway, so if you need stress relief, or chocolate, or even if you don't, here are the bestest brownies. There are multiple variations of them on the web, but this is my version and therefore the best. You're welcome.

Bad Day Brownies
Makes a 9x13 pan, cut into pieces of your discretion
For the brownies:
1 1/2 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark)
2 1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder (I strongly recommend Hersey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa powder. It sends the chocolate factor through the roof.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the caramel sauce:
Check out Sally's Baking Addiction for the best recipe (I often omit more than a pinch of the salt): http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-salted-caramel-recipe/
Or go ahead and buy yourself a jar of good quality caramel sauce (8 oz-ish).
1-2 cups chopped pecans
And/or extra chocolate chips, Health bits, or whatever sounds good. Toasted coconut would be great, for example.
To make:
Grease a 9x13 pan and set it aside. Preheat the oven to 375°.
Melt butter and chocolate chips together either in the microwave for 90 seconds (stir and add 30 seconds more if needed), or over medium heat on the stove top.
Stir together (in a stand mixer or by hand) sugar, water, and melted butter/chips. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
Combine flour, cocoa, banking powder, and salt; stir into sugar mixture until all combined.
Divide dough in half. Press down half the dough into prepared pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes. Pour caramel sauce on top of brownies and spread to the edges. Cover with chopped pecans (or whatever other topping you want).
This is the tricky and messy part. Take the other half of the dough and spread it in an even layer over everything.
*since the dough is so thick, I took small pieces and flattened them in my hand then pressed them down in the pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the layers look done (not glossy). The toothpick test won't work on these.
Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the layers to set up.
Cut into bars and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment