Saturday, March 10, 2018

Coconut Rice Pudding


For absolutely no logical reason, I've been craving rice pudding. I haven't had it/made it in about 5 years (how is that even possible?!). My kiddos actually aren't huge fans of plain white rice (* I have strange veggie loving kiddos) so I rarely have it just ready to make.

However, this past week I was prepared. I made these Asian-glazed chicken thighs and coconut rice JUST SO I COULD MAKE RICE PUDDING. Then my almost 10-year old son comes and asks if we could bake a cake together. There go my dessert plans. #cantsaynotocake

Fast forward to tonight. Yes, there is still a double-chocolate orange cake sitting on the counter. But that's for the kiddos, right? And rice pudding is for adults only, correct? *wink wink*

So here it is. Coconut rice pudding. So creamy and smooth and coconutty. And, for bonus points, it's totally gluten and dairy free (win!). And you can easily substitute coconut sugar or even honey (insert sweetener of choice). You may have to slightly adjust the cooking time to get ther texture you want, so just keep that in the back of your mind while cooking.

Coconut Rice Pudding
1 cup cooked rice (preferable cooked with 1/2 coconut milk, 1/2 water)
4 cups coconut milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients into a pot and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat. It takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour.

For extra goodness, put toasted coconut on top. To take this over the top, add chopped mangoes or passion fruit
. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment